Exploring the influences on our region's economy.
National Bank of Commerce, together with leading area educational institutions and business front runner's, created and continues to sponsor the Regional Economic Indicators Forum (REIF); a comprehensive research initiative to drive growth, prosperity and collaboration across our region.
Next Forum: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 7-9:30 am (Program starts at 8)
7:00 sign in and networking
8:00 - 9:30 students and keynote speaker presentations
DECC: Harbor Side Ballroom
Keynote Speaker: Chris Farrell
Cost: Advance registration $25, at the door $30
Chris Farrell is senior economics contributor at Marketplace, American Public Media’s nationally syndicated public radio business and economic programs. He is economics commentator for Minnesota Public Radio and host of its series, Conversations on the Creative Economy. An award-winning journalist, Chris is a columnist for PBS Next Avenue and the Star Tribune. He has written for Bloomberg Businessweek, New York Times, Kiplinger’s and other publications. The author of four books, his most recent is Unretirement: How Baby Boomers are Changing the Way We Think About Work, Community and the Good Life.
The goals of the REIF are to:
- Support business owners in their business decisions by gathering key local economic indicators and trend information
- Develop specific economic indicators for this region that are not readily available to decision makers
- Develop tools to assess our progress in economic growth, prepare baseline measures that will allow comparison with other regions and measure future progress of the region
- Track the region’s participation in the “new economy” and development in the high-tech arena
- Collect and monitor data related to county-level economic performance, business and consumer confidence and regional stock performance
- Bring professionals together with business owners for discussion about the local economy and related critical issues in a collaborative, non-political environment
- Create a business recruitment and retention tool by publishing the information
The REIF Region is a 15-county area that covers Northeast Minnesota and Northwest Wisconsin. The eight counties of Minnesota include the Arrowhead Region — Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake and St. Louis counties — along with Pine County. The seven counties of Wisconsin include Ashland, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron, Sawyer and Washburn.
The REIF is governed by a steering and advisory committee comprised of representative(s) from:
Fall 2017 Student Presenters
- National Bank of Commerce
- College of St. Scholastica
- Small Business Development Center of Minnesota
- Small Business Development Center of Wisconsin
- University of Minnesota, Duluth
- University of Wisconsin, Superior
Spring 2018 Student Presenters
Resources such as APEX (Area Partnership for Economic Expansion), Business North and the Development Association of Superior-Douglas County are utilized as needed.
Meet the Regional Economics Faculty Research Staff.