Regional Economic Indicators Forum (R.E.I.F.)
November 1st Speaker: Richard Dow Stewart, Ph.D., CTL
Richard Dow Stewart is a Professor at the University of Wisconsin Superior and the Director of their Transportation and Logistics Research Center. He is also the Co-Director of the Great Lakes Maritime Research Institute.
Dr. Stewart is a current licensed Master Mariner and started sailing in the fo'c'sle and rose to command ocean vessels. He managed a fleet of vessels valued at $300 million. He has been a surveyor, port captain, cargo expediter, and a small business owner of a travel agency. He was a Captain in the U.S. Naval Reserve.
Dr. Stewart is Certified in Transportation and Logistics (CTL) by the American Society of Transportation and Logistics. He earned his Ph.D. at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute’s Lally School of Management his Masters degree at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay and his Bachelors at the US Merchant Marine Academy. He has taught undergraduate and graduate courses for twenty-nine years in the US and overseas.
Dr. Stewart has been the Principal Investigator for over $10 million in research grants. He has also been a researcher on collaborative research projects with other universities. He has extensive publications and presentations addressing topics in rail, intermodal, and marine transportation, logistics, transportation education and marine environmental issues. He is active in professional organizations, public boards of directors, and serves on public advisory committees.
He has had the good fortune to be married with Kathleen Collins since 1979 and they have four wonderful children.
The Goals of the project are to:
- Support business owners in their business decisions by gathering key local economic indicators and trend information
- Develop specific economic indicators for this region that are not readily available to decision makers
- Develop tools to assess our progress in economic growth. Prepare baseline measures that will allow comparison with other regions and measure future progress of the region
- Track the region’s participation in the “new economy” and development in the high tech arena
- Bring professionals together with business owners for discussion about the local economy and related critical issues in a collaborative, non-political environment
- Create a business recruitment and retention tool by publishing the information
The REIF Region is a 15-county area that covers Northeast Minnesota and Northwest Wisconsin. The 8 counties of Minnesota include the Arrowhead Region — Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, and St. Louis counties — along with Pine County. The 7 counties of Wisconsin include Ashland, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron, Sawyer, and Washburn.
The R.E.I.F. is governed by a steering/advisory committee comprised of representative(s) from:
- National Bank of Commerce
- College of St. Scholastica
- SBDC – MN
- SBDC – WI
- Resources such as APEX and the Development Association of Superior-Douglas County will be utilized as needed.
Meet the Regional Economics Faculty Research Staff.
To view the R.E.I.F student research presented at the breakfast forum on March 29, please click here:
March 2016 Presentation
2015 Annual Report
October 2015 Presentation
March 2015 Full Report
March 2015 Presentation
October 2014 Full Report
October 2014 Presentation
March 2014 Full Report